RE: WordNet in RDF/XML: 50,000+ RDF class vocabulary...

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Richard Humpleman - SISA wrote:
> This seems to have stopped working but it worked great before. Any chance
> to get it going for a little while looonger?
>
> Reference to undeclared namespace prefix: 'r'. Line 14, Position 51
> <Class r:about="http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/cat

Ooops, thanks. I've fixed it.

I had a number of comments about the unwieldy long URLs I was using, and
the multiple levels of namespace management they depend upon. So I moved
it to a http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/* address instead, which is a domain
explicitly committed to (eventual) persistence and non-cheesiness. In
process, I broke the script and a bunch of URLs -- so much for persistence!

Ideally, Princeton would host the canonical URL for WordNet since they
manage the vocabulary. Failing that, I think there's a lot to be gained by
agreeing within the RDF community a single namespace URI for WordNet 1.6
concepts. Using purl.org or something under desire.org are other
possibilities I've been toying with.

<aside>
I have no personal desire to manage xmlns.com for all time so am
looking for ways of offloading the domain to a committee of do-gooder
RDF/XML enthusiasts who want short reliable names for 'semantic web'
namespaces. Neither ILRT, University of Bristol nor W3C have any
commitment to maintaining names in that namespace. So - I'd like to hand
off reponsibility for xmlns.com to some entity more reliable than
myself. Suggestions (in separate thread) welcomed :-)
</aside>

Anyway, regarding WordNet I need to flag up a major issue: my current demo
conflates 'word senses' with the words associated with those senses. My
rather dusty knowledge of WordNet is that 'senses' are clusters of broadly
equivalent terms, eg. as shown comma-separated here:

So the sub-class relation is between clusters of terms. This leaves us
with a dillema: do we assign URIs to senses, terms or both? I'd expect
both, but with most classifications happening in terms of senses. In which
case the question is -- what identifier is appropriate to id a word sense?

I'm hoping that someone more familiar with details of WordNet will step
in and tell us how best to do this... Suggestions anyone?

Dan