Re: Resources and URIs

From: Sergey Melnik <melnik@DB.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 13:30:33 -0800
To: R.van.Dort@Everest.nl, Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>, Gabe Beged-Dov <begeddov@jfinity.com>
CC: RDF Interest Group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Let me clarify what in my view is the core of the problem:

one of the major requirements to hypertext is the ability to refer to
pieces of information created by other people. We need this ability for
any viable RDF serialization.

The problem is *not* no name the resources in a semantically correct
way, or to establish the identity of the resource under consideration
etc. In my view we simply need a way to refer to something stated in an
RDF document without repeating it over and over again.

Thus, the scope of this problem is much narrower, and does not require
addressing architectural foundations of the Web:

the current serialization syntax can produce models containing resources
that are not explicitly named in the serialization. If a third person
wants to refer to such resource, it is essential that every parser is
guaranteed to produce the same URI for the resource. Period.

Sergey