Re: RDF API 1.0 Draft / signing RDF content

From: Gabe Beged-Dov <begeddov@jfinity.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 11:33:02 -0800
To: Sergey Melnik <melnik@DB.Stanford.EDU>
CC: RDF Interest Group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Sergey Melnik wrote:

> The source code is included. The API uses MD5 digests of RDF content.

In general, it looks really great. The use of a signature as the URI is
very powerful :-! I have several  short questions/comments about this.

The first question is related to the interaction between the model being
"closed" and the generation of the signature. Should the concept of the
model being open vs. closed be part of the API?

The second comment  is related to noname resources. The sample
implementation uses the incrementing genid which is dependant on the XML
serialization. I was wondering if there couldn't be a step at model
signature generation time that also generated the signatures for the
nonames. The idea would be that once the model is stable you can
generate a signature for the noname using something like the set of
triples for which the noname is the subject using the same algorithm as
for models (kind of like mini-models [forgive the Austin Powers
reference, I saw a scary mini-me doll shopping last night and it stuck
in my mind]:)

Cordially from Corvallis,

Gabe Beged-Dov
http://www.jfinity.com/gabe