Re: Mime types, Literals == Resources

From: Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN <champin@cpe.fr>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 09:45:35 +0100
To: Jonas Liljegren <jonas@paranormal.o.se>
CC: RDF Intrest Group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Jonas Liljegren wrote:

> Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN wrote:
> >
> > I suggest that there be no more distinction between
> >  triple(resource,resource,resource) and triple(resource,resource,litteral)
> > but that RDF looking like
> >
> >  <rdf:Description about="http://somewhere.org/something">
> >    <s:prop> This is a litteral </s:prop>
> >  </rdf:Description>
> >
> > be translated something like
> >
> > triple( s:prop, http://somewhere.com/something, thisfile.rdf#genid1 )
> >
> > where "thisfile.rdf#genid1" whould have "This is a litteral" as CONTENT...
> > which surely would raise some implementation issues left to discuss!
>
> The algoritm for this could use the Xpointer thing now developed by w3c:
>         http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr

I'm not yet familiar with XPointer, but as I understand, it is compatible with URIs.
That is, instead of the 'genid1' suggested above, there should be an XPointer-compliant fragment,
which is indeed a better idea.
And we would have an URI having the litteral string as its CONTENT,
and no more need for a special treatment of litterals,
which is IMHO the important point.

  Pierre-Antoine