Re: Discussion draft: RDF Description Services

Dan Brickley wrote:

>         RDF Description Services
>         Current Version: http://www.w3.org/1999/11/02-RDFServices/
>

> The intention is to define something _extremely_ simple. Basic idea is
> that an RDF Description Service can be exposed via http to allow queries such
> as  http://fiction.w3.org/metabureau?{some_URI}

The PICS functionality almost come by itself from the RDF spec. This
is almost self evident, but I could make some comments.

The method of using one base URL for providing meta data about URIs
with another base is intresting.

The other method would be to use the URI itself as an URL to give
metadata about the thing denoted by the URI.

There is always the problem of knowing if the URI is the content of
the URL or something else. It could be a good thing to not use the
URL as a way to give metadata about the URI.

But you would like to know where to get more information about a
specific URI. That could maby be the job for a couple of
meta-metabureaus. That is, to give a list of see-also to other
description services.

* Attribution

Shouldn't this be coupled with the XML signature work?
	http://www.w3.org/Signature/

* Protocol Interfaces

I don't think that using HTTP presents any problems. The applications
using RDF Services should handle HTTP as well as RDF/xml.

The error messages would have the same meaning.

Content negotiation could be used to request the document to be in
RDF/xml instead of the old PICS format. That would make it possible to
use the same URL for both services.

Also: GET/HEAD should be handled the same. The HEAD request would be
used to see if there is a new version of the answer, but would not
give the answer.

* The client interface

PICS talks about how to represent the metadata as a form. Some
attributes could have a couple of possible values, for the rating of
violent content, etc.

This would be done using RDF schemas?

I see the need for a description of a way to render a interface for
some subset of schemas.

--
/ Jonas  -  http://paranormal.o.se/perl/proj/rdf/schema_editor/