Re: simile home page

Eric Miller wrote:

> agenda request: simile home page transition
>
> from - http://web.mit.edu/simile/www/
>
> to - http://simile.mit.edu/
>
> I'd like to discuss transition plan and find out what needs to be done,
> who owns what, time-line, etc.

+1

The new server arrived and is now installed in the MIT Libraries server
room.

It's an HP Proliant 380DL, dual Xeon 2.8Ghz, 2 Gb RAM, 36Gb RAID1
(hardware) 15000 rpm disks, dual power supply. Very nice machine.

I'm in the process of installing Debian Sarge on it (have a problem with
the bootdisks missing the drivers for Compaq SmartArray RAID controller,
so I have to build my own bootdisks and this takes a while to figure out
all the details). I was "defeated" last week before the dspace meeting
but I'm trying again this afternoon.

My goal is to have that machine become the hub for the SIMILE
infrastructure, which means:

  - code repository (I was thinking about proposing using Subversion)
  - mailing lists
      - public/private
  - wiki (moinmoin) and/or CMS (I was thinking of Lenya)
  - IRC server with wiki/CMS/email connected logging bot
  - bug database (jira it's commercial but it's free for open source
projects and we *are* an open source project after all, alternatives are
bugzilla or scarab)
  - continuous integrator (gump)
  - unit tester (clover?)

so that we can try to improve the way we work and, at the same time,
allow other people to join and help out and for this reason, we need to
move away from IPSSources, that, though nice and very well supported,
it's too HP-related and doesn't give us the ability to experiment with
alternative software and workflows.

As far as moving the web site over, it's no big deal. We can put a
redirection page or, much more elegant and search-engine-friendly, use
directly a RewriteRule in a .htaccess file.

Thoughts?

--
Stefano Mazzocchi
Research Scientist                 Digital Libraries Research Group