RE: SIMILE PI phone conference, 26-Sep-03 1200 EDT/1700 BST

Hi Paul

As your paper correctly notes, there is a huge difference between metadata
that describes how we might use a resource and metadata that describes a
resource. As you note, metadata of the first group is potentially infinite,
and limited by the ingenuity of the creator.

For example, imagine the same picture and associated descriptive metadata
being used in three learning objects:

- one describes the history of the painting,
- the second tries to demonstrate capturing metadata for metadata's sake
without a clear use case is very likely to be futile,
- whereas the third includes the picture for no other reason than the author
thought it was a nice picture and when combined with a Latin quotation would
impress learners with the scholarly nature of the LOM.

Devising a mapping scheme that can map between these three different uses is
likely to be impossible.

The problem we face here is IMS is a "use" metadata schema for an
educational context, whereas VRA is a descriptive metadata schema. So its
very hard to re-use the "use" metadata, we just end up throwing away most of
the IMS metadata and just using the "descriptive" bit. Even then, its hard
to map one on to the other.

kind regards,

Dr Mark H. Butler
Research Scientist                HP Labs Bristol
mark-h_butler@hp.com