From: Kevin Smathers [mailto:kevin.smathers@hp.com]
Sent: 10 September 2003 17:36
To: Seaborne, Andy
Cc: 'karger@theory.lcs.mit.edu'; 'www-rdf-dspace@w3.org'
Subject: Re: haystack + jena

Hi David,

I've just gotten a new box that is capable of running Haystack on my
desk, and made the mistake of telling it where my IMAP server is
located; I have little over 3000 messages in my Inbox ;).  Oops, looks
like the system died.

There are a couple of very high level issues that I suspect need to be
resolved for Haystack/Jena integration.  Based on the requirements
research I did earlier this year, if Jena is to replace
Cholesterol/Adenine then Jena will need to support event triggers and
probably incorporate the S, P, O and O, P, S indices used by Haystack,
and Haystack would have to translate the Adenine inferences into one of
the inferencing languages that Jena supports.  However, as I understand
it, Haystack is normally configured to query its models in memory with
currently unused graphs swapped out to disk.  If integrated at the pager
level then Haystack could continue using Cholesterol and Adenine, and
use e.g Josecki simply as a file transfer utility for paged subgraphs.

Although the second approach has the effect of sharing information
between Haystack and Jena, it is really more like import/export than
actual integration.  The huge number of triples created by Adenine will
probably overwhelm Jena's storage capabilities, and doesn't make good
use of Jena's built in inferencing.  Arguably this would mean that Jena
should only be used to export DSpace data to Haystack through this
interface, and not for storage of Haystack triples as a whole.

I can copy out the relevant parts of our requirements doc if you are
interested.

Cheers,
-kls

Seaborne, Andy wrote:

>David,
>
>In the first instance, that would be me.
>
>There are two possible scenarios: using a Joseki server and remotely
>connecting Haystack to that Joseki server (for example, the new history
>store) or connecting Haystack to a external but local Jena model (for
>example, one held in a database).
>
>Both these are interesting; both can be done with the same query approach
>although the tighter local binding may also be capable of finer grain
>access.  I can help with either.

>developers using Jena which everyone should feel free to use.  This is the
>place for Jena and Joseki questions.
>

>>I think this should be relatively straightforward once the
>>information starts to flow.
>>

>I hope so as well.
>
>	Andy

   Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
   Palo Alto Research Lab
   1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
   M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
   Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
use "Standard::Disclaimer";
carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");