RE: Canonicalizing names (was Re: XSLT script for IMS)

Hi Kevin

So to summarise the issues:

1. It sounds like it would be desirable to separate honorifics out. For the
OCW case this is easy as the honorifics we are likely to encounter are Prof.
or Professor - a few lines of XSLT would suffice.

Honorifics for the Artstor case are more difficult - they include Bishop,
Queen, Sir etc.

2. For OCW, a bigger problem is that personal and organisational names are
mixed. There are a few instances of this in the Artstor data, but generally
Artstor distinguishes between the two.

3. Another problem with OCW is when two names have been combined in a single
field. We could just regard this as an encoding error?

4. It's unlikely the OCLC web service will solve these issues - we need to
get the name in something approaching a canonicalized form first.

However as Andy has noted, I don't think it is worth expending much more
time trying to solve these problems now.

However I've been looking at the OCW data today and I do think it would be a
good idea to put the contents of the <Keyword> elements into the OCW RDF.
While it is true that <taxonpath><source> only has two values - LCSH and CIP
- there is variation in keyword as shown in the enclosed file.

Dr Mark H. Butler
Research Scientist                HP Labs Bristol
mark-h_butler@hp.com