Re: Overview of design decisions made creating stylesheet and sch ema for Artstor data

Seaborne, Andy wrote:

>Overall comments:
>
>1/ We need to decide what is the work/image relations here.  I see three
>concepts: work, image, file.  Work and image from VRA core, file from our
>own idea.
>

>2/ <Description>Copy by Raphael</Description>
>
>OK - so who is the creator? :-) There are two works the original and the
>copy.  We an image, with several formats (different JPEG fiels and a
>FlashPixfile) of the image.

As I read VRA, the creator is always the creator of the principal
object, ie the object we are talking about.  If we are talking about the
copy then the creator is Raphael.  If we are talking about a photograph
of the copy of the original, then it would be the name of the
photographer, but just because there is e.g. a digital photograph
doesn't mean that we are talking about the photograph.  In standard
usage photographs are surrogates for the objects that they represent --
when pointing out things like stylistic elements of painting, we are
still talking about the original object, even when looking at what is
literally a photograph of a painting.  Creator only becomes the
photographer when the element of discussion is e.g grain, or contrast,
or lighting, or something that has to do with the photograph, and not
with the original object that is depicted in the photograph.

>><Creator>
>>	<Personal_Name>Leonardo,da Vinci,1452-1519</Personal_Name>
>>	<Corporate_Name>School of Leonardo</Corporate_Name>
>></Creator>
>>
>>or
>>
>><Creator>Leonardo,da Vinci,1452-1519</Creator>
>>
>>are both acceptable.
>>

>As we discussed in the phonce conference I think we need to process the
>values to derive a "Person" class object.  Here it would be (sketch
>example):
>
> [] :displayName "Leonardo,da Vinci" ;  # displayable form
>    :name                               # Structured name
>      [ :familyName "da Vinci" ;
>        :givenName "Leonardo" ;
>      ] ;
>    :dateOfBirth "1452" ;               # or a structure
>    :dateOfDeath "1519" ;
>    :memberOf                           # And need to allow
>      [                                 # for attaching of date
>       rdf:type :school;                # ranges?
>       :name    "School of Leonardo"
>      ] ;
>    # Important: record the way that ArtStore refer to this person
>    :artStoreId  "Leonardo,da Vinci,1452-1519" ;
>    # Other corpuses ways of referring to this person
>    .
>
>Giving people URNs makes them easier to reference.
>
>The important thing is to record the ArtStore way of referring to this
>person then adding a different corpuses way fo doing it, then we can equate
>thsese to be the same person.
>
>Now the concept of "creator" is the relationship between the work/image and
>the person - it's a property.  This captures the idea of the 'role' being
>played.  The class of "Creator"s are those "Person"s who are the object (in
>the range of) of a creator property.  Could also have a "created" proeprty -
>:Creator is a :Person with a :created property.

Creating an class for Person is fine, but combining multiple schemas
into the same Person object I think is an error.  For example in this
case you've changed the reference ':personalName' to ':artStoreId' which
I think is erroneous since it destroys the original semantic meaning of
the record -- the original semantics of the object properties get lost
in trying to deconflict them with all of the other corpori that are
integrated into the same record.  Furthermore, a simple approach of
treating each corpus as a specialized subclass of Person would also be
an error, in that it requires advance cooperation between all of the
schema creators.  Rather than replace the original meaning, what you
need is to apply an adaptor pattern to adjust the meaning to a new
context; in other words, instead of extending Person with the contents
of each new corpus, each new corpus can maintain its own Person class,
each with its own meaning, but for the purposes of interaction between
the corpori a new Person class can establish which records logically
reference the same person.   (The logical basis for unifying the various
Person records would establish the type of Person class being created.)

For example, a SoundExSimilarPerson class could run through names
identifying names that are similar according to the specific SoundEx
algorithm, and link together all records that match using that
algorithm.   A separate e.g. GettyULANPerson class could link together
records that contain identical Getty references for those records that
include Getty references.

   Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
   Palo Alto Research Lab
   1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
   M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
   Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
use "Standard::Disclaimer";
carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");