Re: Mapping between schemas

Butler, Mark wrote:

> (a) We can create a property called creator, and then subproperties called
> role, attribution, personal_name and corporate_name. If we do this, we are
> making the assumption that an image has exactly one creator.

I'm not sure this is a useful modelling approach. By making, say, coporate_name
a subproperty of creator you are saying a lot more - you are saying that a
coporate_name is a specialized form of a creator:

    corporate_name rdfs:subPropertyOf creator .
    x corporate_name "HP" .
  |=
    x creator "HP" .

which may not be what you want. For situations where there really was a single
creator you could use the specialized property approach but just avoid
subPropertyOf and use some custom inter-property relation:

    qualifier rdfs:range rdfs:Property .
    qualifier rdfs:domain rdfs:Property .
    corparate_name qualifier creator .

However, the value of this modelling approach compared to (b) isn't very clear.

Dave