RDF Thesauri and KOS API

> Hi Alistair
>
> Here are some comments, they are general preferences about good schema
> design rather than specific comments about these schemas but
> I think they
> apply here, hope they are useful?
>
> 1. using rdfs:label in the schemas would enable clients like
> Haystack to
> automatically render RDF that uses this schema in a more pleasing way.
>
> 2. adding appropriate rdfs:comments would mean that a human
> reader would
> have a better chance of understanding the schema without
> having to refer to
> a specification document. You have included a seeAlso link
> which is good,
> but my preference would be to include this information at
> least a subset of
> this information in the schema if possible.

I agree totally, labels and comments are coming soon.

> In addition, the other thing which I would help my understanding is a
> description of how you expect these thesauri to be processed?
> For example,
> if we queried a knowledge base for all instances of term a,
> would we also
> expect to get back instances of term of which is a narrower
> version of a?
> Perhaps you have such a description already - if so could you
> point me at
> it?

These kinds of questions I think fall under the remit of our development of
a web API for interacting with a thesaurus service.  My preference is to
keep such an API wholly concept-oriented.  So the interaction might look
like ...

User enters search string (regular expression)
-> Thesaurus server returns all concepts with labels that match the query.
User requests broader/narrower/all relatives of a specific concept
-> Thesaurus server returns requested concepts

Such an API could easily include the option to return a closure of all
narrower concepts, or just the direct narrower concepts.  This could be a
parameter of the method call cf. Jena API.

Does this answer your question?

I've put my suggestion for a KOS API online at
<http://www.w3c.rl.ac.uk/SWAD/api/kosAPI.txt>, though this will probably
change as we examine the use cases further.

Yours,

Alistair.