FW: SIMILE position papers, deadline 13th of November

Thanks MacKenzie.

-----Original Message-----
From: MacKenzie Smith [mailto:kenzie@MIT.EDU]
Sent: 11 November 2003 18:08
To: Butler, Mark
Cc: Mick Bass
Subject: Re: SIMILE position papers, deadline 13th of November

Hi Mark,

My position paper is attached -- I hope this is what you had in mind.
Sorry it sounds a bit article-like (it's a habit). I didn't post it to the
public list since I wasn't sure who it was intended for other than you,
but you're free to do so if you like.

Talk to you Thursday,

MacKenzie/

At 08:37 PM 10/28/2003 +0000, Butler, Mark wrote:

>Hi team,
>
>One of the issues currently facing the SIMILE team is the best way to
manage
>its multi-site, multi-organization team.
>
>A couple of weeks ago, there was a suggestion that encouraging team members
>to submit position papers might be a good way to facilitate team discussion
>and interaction. However at that time the suggestion was to submit papers
>before the plenary.
>
>After some discussion between the HP team, we would like to propose that
>submitting papers well before this could help progress work on the demo,
and
>focus thinking for the plenary, so we would like to propose a much closer
>deadline of Thursday the 13th of November.
>
>Our primary goal here is to solicit input from everyone on the team. The
>position papers should be short, one or two pages long, and should describe
>- what contributions the different groups involved in the project could
make
>to the demo?
>- the importance of those contributions?
>- how would the definition of the demo [1] need to be tuned to incorporate
>this contributions?
>- and how that contribution fits in with the SIMILE longer term research
>agenda [2].
>We suggest that the papers should reflect the views and interests of the
>teams, and be actionable.
>
>Our expectation is that one paper should be submitted by each PI (or
>possibly more in the case of the HP and Haystack teams). I will coordinate
>the HP position paper(s).
>
>[1]
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-dspace/2003Sep/att-0033/demo_sc
>ipt_v2.pdf
>
>[2] http://web.mit.edu/simile/www/documents/introduction/introduction.html
>
>Dr Mark H. Butler
>Research Scientist                HP Labs Bristol
>mark-h_butler@hp.com
>Internet: http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/marbut/

MacKenzie Smith
Associate Director for Technology