Re: SIMILE work

Butler, Mark wrote:

>I think the IMS data is also at a stage where it should be possible to start
>work on viewers - Kevin, is this correct? If so what is the best way to make
>it available to Steve?

Yes, the IMS data should be possible to visualize standalone as it is.
I haven't yet finished (nor have we agreed to) how the IMS data should
be linked to a naming authority so that the data can be cross referenced
inter-corpus.

>The next question is "what should the viewers look like?" Well I'm
>interested from other suggestions from the team, which we can discuss
>tomorrow, but I would like to explore the possibility of using faceted
>browse (also called faceted search) which you may already be familiar with -
>if not see
>http://www.siderean.com/MedJournalDemo001_viewlet_swf.html
>http://bailando.sims.berkeley.edu/talks/hearst-pcd-seminar-2003.asx
>http://bailando.sims.berkeley.edu/flamenco.html
>
>Looking at the Artstor data, my guess is the key data fields are
>
>- creator
>- geographic
>- subject
>- title
>- period
>
>So we could group images by creator, geography and period. Grouping by
>subject is more complicated as the subject property is both used for
>indexing terms and a description of the image e.g.
>
><http://web.mit.edu/simile/metadata/artstor/id#UCSD_41822000005155>
>  vra:subject
><http://web.mit.edu/simile/metadata/artstor/subject#Vézelay_(France)--Ste._
>Madeleine>,
>	<http://web.mit.edu/simile/metadata/artstor/subject#Romanesque> ,
>
>	<http://web.mit.edu/simile/metadata/artstor/subject#Saints> ,
>	<http://web.mit.edu/simile/metadata/artstor/subject#Capitals> ,
>
><http://web.mit.edu/simile/metadata/artstor/subject#Eustace,Saint,_martyr,d.
>_118> ,
><http://web.mit.edu/simile/metadata/artstor/subject#Architectural_sculpture>
>;
>
>here the first property value is a description whereas the others are
>indexing terms. Now to distinguish between these two uses of subject we need
>to look up each term in a thesauri such as the Getty AAT to determine if it
>is an indexing term. However it may not be possible to do this within the
>time limits of the demo, so one possible workaround is to say that an
>indexing term is one that has more than a single instance in the corpus.
>This has the unfortunate side-effect that it will disregard valid indexing
>terms, but in the demo we are trying to convey the value that using
>structured metadata can deliver through faceted browsing.
>
>Note we have had some discussion about the canonicalization of creator names
>(see the email list archive), and it is likely that canonicalization is
>necessary on other properties - feedback on this is welcome?
>
>Does this seem sufficient information to start to make progress? If you have
>any questions or queries please send them to the SIMILE public list?
>
>thanks, kind regards
>
>Dr Mark H. Butler
>Research Scientist                HP Labs Bristol
>mark-h_butler@hp.com
>Internet: http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/marbut/

   Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
   Palo Alto Research Lab
   1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
   M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
   Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
use "Standard::Disclaimer";
carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");