Re: More History comments

Tansley, Robert wrote:

>>>This looks fine, until you actually try and change something.  Say I
>>>add a new bitstream, BITS2, to BND1.  I've shown this in that nasty
>>>orange colour.  This obviously consistutes a change in BND1;
>>>

>>you can't
>>

>>>just draw another hasPart arc between BND1:1 and BITS2:1, since you
>>>would never be able to tell that BND1 in one situation
>>>

>>contained only
>>

>>>BITS1.  So, you create a new situation for BND1, called BND1:2, and
>>>have hasPart arcs between that and BITS1:1 and BITS2:1.
>>>

>>(This assumes
>>

>>>that the situation of BITS1 is not changed by virtue of the
>>>

>>fact that
>>

>>>the Bundle it is in has changed.)
>>>

>>This is only a problem for content based identifiers (see my rambling
>>answer to Mark).  When using resource identifiers the two
>>instances of
>>BND1:1 are distinct, so there is no confusion between the two chains.
>>
>>Collapsing all nodes that have the same contents by using
>>content based
>>identifiers is an invalid optimization, as this use case shows (among
>>others.)
>>

>Hi Kevin,
>
>I'm afraid I really don't understand what you've said here.  Which response to Mark are you talking about?  BND1:1 is a single node in the graph.  So you might have in two separate parts of the History data,
>
>BND1:1  -- hasPart -->  BITS1:1
>
>BND1:1  -- hasPart -->  BITS2:1
>
>By definition, aren't the two BND1:1's the same node?  Do I have some serious misunderstanding about the basics of RDF here?
>
> Robert Tansley / Hewlett-Packard Laboratories / (+1) 617 551 7624

The question is why you decided to use BND1:1 rather than BND1:2.  If
the choice of BND1:1 was required because the resource at that node is
identified by a content based identifier, then information has been lost
about the distinct nature of the two instances.  The graph looks wrong;
the second chain is logically independent of the first, yet you've
combined the nodes early in the chain, dividing them only where the
content has changed.  I think you instead should consider the instance
chain to be independent of the content (see attachment.)

   Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
   Palo Alto Research Lab
   1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
   M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
   Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
use "Standard::Disclaimer";
carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");