RE: Handles and PURLs

The topic, rather than Handles and PURLs, is more generally I think systems for naming and resolution.

In particular are higher-level abstractions or services (and thus systems/standards/frameworks for providing them) than vanilla URIs (some subset of which are GETable URLs) useful or _required_, particularly when issues of persistence and preservation are brought in scope, and need to be addressed given the real organizational social/political/economic constraints that Mark accurately points out.

> 5. Due to 3, URIs tend to mix identity and version (i.e.
> date, time). There are some disadvantages...
> this may be easier than keeping track of a bunch of metadata
> that says all these identifiers refer to versions of the same
> resource.
>
> 6. The concept behind PURLs and Handles is good, i.e. when a
> resource moves you don't need to worry about it.

A little over a year ago, in the context of framing naming decisions for Dspace, I wrote a paper [1] that tries to tease apart the various functions that need be covered in a naming/resolution system that requires persistence in guarantees of the global uniqueness of names and/or persistent resolution capabilities for the named resources.  Note that it does have a bibliography, which includes the Larry Stone paper as well as some other excellent work, in particular that on "ark:" URNs.

Now it is possible that this is a crap paper, so it may be useful if those on the list could comment on

1) does the described functional breakdown make sense?
2) how would it be covered by the semantic web architecture?
And maybe
3) how close/distant do you believe these issues are to the remit of SIMILE

My perception is that Handle System is attempting to address some shortcomings or difficulties in covering this functional space using URI's and GETable http: URLs exclusively.

We can test this when we meet the CNRI folks a couple of weeks hence.

- Mick

[1] Note on DSpace and the Handle System
	http://web.mit.edu/simile/www/resources/naming-resolution/handles-naming/handles-naming.pdf
	http://web.mit.edu/simile/www/resources/naming-resolution/handles-naming/handles-naming.htm