RE: Open Items from SIMILE/History System Call Today

> 1. The DSpace system uses CNRI Handles to identify certain
> objects.  Given that
> Handles are generally useful for refering to resources,
> should the Handle refer
> to the current version of the resource, or to the version
> current at time of
> creation?
> Should Handles be used universally to refer to all
> objects or just
> those actually retrievable through resolving the Handle?

I offer the following further breakdown of these questions:

1. DSpace assigns handles to (some) resources.
  A. when a handle is assigned, what does it refer to?
     Alternatives include:
	i) "The Work"  ...sorry, FRBR awakes :)
	ii) The current state of "The Work"
      iii) The state of the work at time handle was assigned
	iv) A particular version of some manifestation of the work
	v) some other variant/version/manifestation of "The Work"
	vi) an aggregation of some/all of the above

  if (i) then how are versions and various other manifestations named and resolved?

  if (vi) what mechanism should be used to present the aggregation, and allow inspection/choice among the alternatives.  Choices include (x) application-specific mechanism e.g. Dspace "item overviews" as Dspace does today or (y) some other (perhaps more "standard" or longer-lived) protocol e.g. rddl or the handle system

  Objects/concepts that may require names:
    + "The Work"
    + "The state of the work in a particular situation"
	  e.g.=the state of the work when it was submitted;
	      =the state of the work before transformation;
            =the state of the work after manual correction;
		=the state of the work after 3 cool new viewers were added, thus making the work accessible to a wider audience.

	  state includes content as well as metadata for various manifestations in the scope of "The Work".  In particular I mean state as Harmony uses it, implying that a subgraph of the history data may need to be named for easy reference.

    + "A manifestation of the work"
    + "A version of a manifestation of the work"
	  e.g. versioned bundle of content bitstreams

  B. Given answer to (A) what is appropriate for each handle to resolve to?
	e.g.
	-if a handle refers to "The Work" then it may be appropriate for it to refer to some root graph describing the history/provenance of the work and its various manifestations.  This would have to be returned via some protocol that the handle would map to (for example a Joseki http-based RDQL query).
	- if a handle refers to, say a particular version and desires to map to a particular PDF manifestation, resolution would involve mapping to a DSpace-application-specific URL e.g. http://someDSpaceInstance/.../bitstream/2748

  C. What resources should be assigned handles?

     Corrolary: if resources need to be persistently referred to and they are not assigned handles, then what URI scheme do we adopt?