Re: Query about the OCW Metadata

Hi Mark,

At 11:59 AM 5/8/2003 +0100, Butler, Mark wrote:
>I'm currently updating the Learning Objects Use Case. It currently says
>something along the lines of:
>
>"In addition to the IMS metadata, other important OCW metadata is
>- The ``discipline'' of each course, written using a controlled vocabulary
>called the Classification of Instructional Programs, which is developed by
>the National Center for Education Statistics. This is a hierarchical
>taxonomy with three levels. The taxonomy is versioned approximately every 10
>years, e.g. CIP-1990 and CIP-2000. There is a published crosswalk
>from 1990 to 2000.
>- A mechanism for marking ``selected'' learning objects within a course to
>be independently archived, in addition to the course as a whole."
>
>So my question is does the OCW metadata already contain these two types of
>information, or is this information which we anticipate will be required by
>DSpace / SIMILE?

Within the OCW content management system, staff are currently inputting
IMS metadata, including CIP subject terms. I don't believe we've worked out
how to flag items for separate, independent indexing yet (probably some
kind of heuristic to be determined once they understand how the materials
are being used). So that's where we are...

MacKenzie/