Re: Provenance for section 3 in technologies.tex

Seaborne, Andy wrote:

>>statements which are identityless
>>

>statements and statings can have identities.

This is off topic, but I was referring to a philosophical issue.  Can
you identify an abstraction, or only an instance of an abstraction.  One
argument goes that you can't identify an abstraction because in order to
give it a place in which it can sit to be identified you must first
instantiate it, and then you have only identified the instance, not the
abstraction.  True abstractions are their content, and any attempt to
fix them in any medium instantiates them.

The take away message is that it is hard to define something which
really acts like a statement in a system that consists wholly of statings.

I do understand that what you, Jena, mean by a statement can have an
identity.

>	Andy

   Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
   Palo Alto Research Lab
   1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
   M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
   Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
use "Standard::Disclaimer";
carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");