Relevant Technologies Document: Application Profiles

From: Butler, Mark <Mark_Butler@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:14:59 +0100
To: www-rdf-dspace@w3.org

Hi team,

I have a suggestion for the Relevant Technologies document, I think we need
to introduce the term "application profiles".

See slide 9 of
http://www.rlg.org/events/metadata2003/waibel.pdf

What are application profiles?
- Application Profiles are schemas which consist of data elements from one
or more namespaces, combined together by implementors, and optimized for a
particular local application (Heery / Patel 2000, [1], [2])

What do they do?
- Express combining and refining of standards to suit your project

[1] http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue25/app-profiles/

[2] http://www.dlib.org/dlib/april02/weibel/04weibel.html

Dr Mark H. Butler
Research Scientist                HP Labs Bristol
mark-h_butler@hp.com
Internet: http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/marbut/