RE: Proposed text for provenance section

Hi John,

Actually the text below came more-or-less straight from MacKenzie (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-dspace/2003May/0117.html).  MacKenzie, do you agree with John's suggested text below?

> * Or is it more reasonable to say that "(any)one who actually
> manages archives" thinks that maintaining the provenance of
> metadata across an archive over time might well be useful,
> but adequately maintaining provenance data is viewed as
> difficult given current tools and mechanisms.

My own tuppence's worth:  The reason I used these comments (apart from the fact that MacKenzie is the domain expert here) is that they back up a concern of mine:  I'm getting quite concerned about the complexity this "metadata provenance" issue is bringing.  The libraries domain is relatively closed compared to the Web as a whole.  I just don't think the open Semantic Web scenario of trawling a tonne of triples from lots of sources and sifting through them to see which ones you believe is one we have to deal with on this project.  If a source of complexity can be avoided I think it should be.

And what about the provenance of provenance data?  (Shudder ;-)

 Robert Tansley / Hewlett-Packard Laboratories / (+1) 617 551 7624