RE: ungetable http URIs

-------- Original Message --------
> From: David R. Karger <mailto:karger@theory.lcs.mit.edu>
> Date: 4 December 2003 19:13
>
> I wouldn't restrict "gettability" to things with bits.  And even if
> the thing is bits, I wouldn't _require_ that GETs return those bits.
> I would be satisfied if all gettable URLs provided _some useful_
> information about the named object, without worrying whether it is
> complete.

I agree - GET returns a representation of a web resource.  It is not
contracted to return a copy of the resource (the resouirce need not be
bits).  A "representation" is stronger than saying "some useful information"
as it is assumed to be useful as the resource in the web context.  In RDF, a
statement

      <url> :hasSize "2056 bytes"  .

can not be applied to a person.

	Andy