RE: ungetable http URIs

-------- Original Message --------
> From: Butler, Mark <mailto:Mark_Butler@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
> Date: 1 December 2003 17:34
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Actually I think there are two questions here:
>
> First, within the scope of the demo: I think we have agreement that we
> should not be using ungetable URLs right?

Yes - we should be using gettable URLs where it makes sense.  Probably URNs
for people.

> So there are two possible
> solutions:
> a) Should we modify the XSLT stylesheet and re-run it to create the
> Artstor
> data so that it uses URNs rather than URLs avoiding ungetable URIs?

Not sure exactly what you mean here - "should not be using ungetable URLs
right" parses a double negative to to "use URLs" for me.

> b) Or should we use Joseki infrastructure to ensure that it is possible
> get those URLs?

Separate issue.  See below.

> Andy, perhaps you can clarify - if we switch to using URNs, can we use
> Joseki are does this create problems?

Gettablity refers to the ability to do a plain HTTP GET on the URL and get
something.  Joseki is providing explicit knowledge bases (KB) on the web -
within a KB, you can obtain information about any URI(ref).

GET http://simileserver/artstore?lang=fetch&r=urn:foobar

will fetch the information with urn:foobar as subhect (and related
information) from the artstore metadat located at
http://simileserver/artstore There is no tie between the URL for the KB and
the URIs for the RDF in the KB (unless you want to do that).

Joseki is not an infrastructure for placing meaningful documents at URLs -
you just need Apache for that.