RE: Proposed SIMILE CY2003 milestones / interface points

-----Original Message-----
From: Bass, Mick [mailto:mick.bass@hp.com]
Sent: 15 August 2003 13:01
To: SIMILE public list
Subject: FW: Proposed SIMILE CY2003 milestones / interface points

A stab at milestones and owners/interface points.  (We do not yet have a
basis for target dates).  These are derived from the task spreadsheet
generated at the Plenary, notes published to www-rdf-dspace by Mark and
Andy, and individual discussion.

Draft, for  comment & discussion at today's telecon.

  _____

SIMILE Key Milestones supporting CY2003 Year-End Demo:

¨ complete and circulate demo "scripts"
     (bass)
     - tuned & detailed definition for esp. demo #1a
     - resolve unknown: controlled vocabulary mapping

¨ demo #1a test corpus available (sans mapping)
     (smith, miller)
     - content
     - RDFS for VRA
     - RDFS for IMS schema
     - resolve unknown: RDFS for controlled vocabulary(ies)?
     - metadata instances for VRA island.  resolve unknown: # records?
     - metadata instances for IMS island.  resolve unknown: # records?

¨ demo #1a test corpus available (including mapping)
     (smith, miller)
     - all above, plus
     - definition of mapping rules to bridge VRA island and IMS island
     - resolve unknown: expression language for rules?
     - mapping rules expressed using OWL?
     - mapping rules expressed using custom rule set?

AFS: I  have assumed there would be some significant SWEB involvement in
turning the initial mappings into something we can deploy.  The starting
point is the semantics, followed by refinement into something that executes
and delivers these semantics.  I don't expect the initial mappings to be
anything other that formalized English.  OWL would be nice but not necessary
- I expect a refinement process starting with initial material from
MacKenzie and/or Eric.

AFS: There is a risk that the intersection of IMS and VRA is uninteresting.
Can we reduce this?

¨ version plan for mapping capability implementation & turnon
     (butler, seaborne, smathers)
     - captures intermediate demo milestones
     - describes required interfaces between/among teams

¨ Performant mapping capability demonstrated
     (seaborne, smathers)
     - functional and technical de-risking|milestone
     - this milestone cleared when mapping rules have
       been produced and query system is demonstrated
       that respects the maps and achieves acceptable
       performance.

AFS: need to record the inputs to this stage - the corpus - which is
critical path.

¨ Reproducible deployment/demo environment
     (tansley, smathers)
     - reliably reproducible at all of MIT/CRL/HPLB/HPLPA
     - defines source code repository(ies) of record
     - defines test data corpus repository(ies) of record

¨ strawman DSpace / SIMILE architecture whitepaper
     (tansley)
     - describes proposed component relationships among DSpace, SIMILE, &
components
     - describes proposed migration path DSpace to SIMILE

¨ Haystack / Josecki connector
     (karger)
     - queries issued from Haystack to DSpace History System via Josecki
return data
     - data displayed in primitive manner

¨ Haystack navigation of History System
     (karger)
     - Haystack client navigates DSpace History System metadata store

**Component code freeze
     (bass, all)
     - components complete to enable final packaging / testing / dry runs of
demo

**Demo Dry Run Complete
     (butler, tansley)
     - though hopefully demo dry runs will occur iteratively
     - this milestone cleared when we've executed the "demo script"
        in lab conditions.

AFS: We should have a demo-dev task stream.  This should not be serialised
as corpus gathering/metadata store/demo dev, but start a demo (inc UI) dev
task stream now.  There is no barrier to doing this - use Amico data and
current Jena2 coudl suffice.

**Demo Delivered
     (bass)

Mick Bass

Manager
Research and Business Development
HP Laboratories
Hewlett-Packard Company
1 Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142

970.898.6788 office    240.536.0765 fax
617.899.3938 mobile    303.494.5202 residence
bass@alum.mit.edu      mick_bass@hp.com