Re: Hierarchical Databases

On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 05:02  AM, Butler, Mark wrote:

> Hi team,
>
> one of the things I didn't appreciate until recently is pre-existing
> library
> systems tend to use hierarchical databases. Its hard to find resources
> on
> hierarchical databases, most textbooks concentrate on relational or OO
> DBs.
> For people who would like to know more, see this Oracle TechNet article
>
> http://otn.oracle.com/oramag/webcolumns/2003/techarticles/
> gennick_connectby.
> html

Mark,

I'm not sure how far down this path you're interested in going, but the
following may be of additional interest to you in your copious free
time :)

[[
Pears - The Pears Open Source project offers software that implements a
Pears database layer. Pears databases have features that make them
ideal for storing hierarchically structured data, such as bibliographic
records, authority records and text documents. The software includes a
stand-alone program to build a Pears database.
]]
- http://www.oclc.org/research/software/pears/

Pears is built by Ralph LeVan (levan@oclc.org) who architected OCLC's
hierarchical database system.