X-server.

   Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:08:59 -0700
   From: Kevin Smathers <ks@micky.hpl.hp.com>
   Cc: john.erickson@hp.com, www-rdf-dspace@w3.org

   On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 01:05:21AM -0400, David R. Karger wrote:
   >    Still this is the first suggestion I've seen that the Haystack
   >    client would be used with Simile.  My impression was rather that
   >    the Haystack UI would be ported, minus the client, using a Web UI
   >    interface.
   >
   > It's a bit questionable where the haystack UI ends and the client
   > begins.  Certainly the maximum power of haystack is achieved by the
   > full system.  Arguably, there is some value to using some of the
   > haystack "back end" (learning agents, etc) to record and adapt to user
   > interactions directed through a web browser.    But a web browser is
   > really quite a limited interface; we'll get a lot more power using the
   > full haystack UI.

   Can you expand on this a bit?  What is the power of Haystack that would
   have no analogue if mapped to a browser interface?  Is that power something
   that we want users to have?  If it is then is it something that could be
   mapped through a separate transaction with the application server rather
   than making it a part of the primary interface?

   What is it that you are worried that the system won't be able to do if
   the client is a browser?

      Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
      Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
      Palo Alto Research Lab
      1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
      M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
      Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
   use "Standard::Disclaimer";
   carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");