Re: SIMILE Research Drivers

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 01:05:21AM -0400, David R. Karger wrote:
>    Still this is the first suggestion I've seen that the Haystack
>    client would be used with Simile.  My impression was rather that
>    the Haystack UI would be ported, minus the client, using a Web UI
>    interface.
>
> It's a bit questionable where the haystack UI ends and the client
> begins.  Certainly the maximum power of haystack is achieved by the
> full system.  Arguably, there is some value to using some of the
> haystack "back end" (learning agents, etc) to record and adapt to user
> interactions directed through a web browser.    But a web browser is
> really quite a limited interface; we'll get a lot more power using the
> full haystack UI.

Can you expand on this a bit?  What is the power of Haystack that would
have no analogue if mapped to a browser interface?  Is that power something
that we want users to have?  If it is then is it something that could be
mapped through a separate transaction with the application server rather
than making it a part of the primary interface?

What is it that you are worried that the system won't be able to do if
the client is a browser?

   Kevin Smathers                kevin.smathers@hp.com
   Hewlett-Packard               kevin@ank.com
   Palo Alto Research Lab
   1501 Page Mill Rd.            650-857-4477 work
   M/S 1135                      650-852-8186 fax
   Palo Alto, CA 94304           510-247-1031 home
use "Standard::Disclaimer";
carp("This message was printed on 100% recycled bits.");