RE: SIMILE document hosting

> The default HTML exporter in Word is poor. Microsoft have a
> better one here
> http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/Msohtmf2.aspx
>
> Of
> course, diffs won't work if we are using
> different exporters.

Based on your suggestion I will obtain and use the better exporter.

> I think this approach to versioning is ugly. CVS would be
> much better. We could use ViewCvs to overcome the problem
> that people without CVS access can't see different versions.

I suspect that diff on word source will not be very helpful, so we would need to check in both .doc (source) and .html (derived) into cvs.  Diffs on .html are I suspect what people will want.

Let's chime in here with hosting requirements.  I'll start

For CVS:
- globally accessible (i.e. cvs server must reside outside corporate firewalls)
- anonymous read access?
- controlled write access?
	- how secure
		- is simple username/password OK?  is MIT's kerberized CVS ok?
	- setup constraints
		- MIT accounts ok

For ViewCVS:
- how is this deployed?

POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVES: (please suggest more)

- MIT Athena
	- secure CVS checkins available, via kerberos and MIT certificates
	  (requires MIT account for each writing user)
	- anonymous updates available
	  (I think, although these may be hosted on a different cvs server and so
	  may require some nightly mirroring process).

- others?