Re: Thoughts on automatic RDF generation for DSpace

From: Art Barstow <barstow@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:15:28 -0400
To: Peter Breton <pbreton@MIT.EDU>
Cc: www-rdf-dspace@w3.org
On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 09:23:18AM -0400, Peter Breton wrote:
> To see the RDF without HTML quoting, use:
> http://www.dspace.org/dspace-demo/test/testrdf.jsp?noquote=true

This is great Peter.  Seems like it should be relatively
straight-forward to create RSS!

> Now that I've done this first bit (which is built on Jena), I have all
> sorts of questions/problems/issues:

Actually, I think Jena has some built-in RSS support ...

> And for future directions, thoughts about the implications of SQL-based
> persistence and RDF querying are welcome. One possible direction I see
> for RDF querying (I'm not sure if it has been thought of already) is to
> provide a query capability which uses XML Schema. So, if a Literal value
> had type xsd:string, then operators like 'starts_with', 'contains', and
> the like could be applied to it. These operations could be mapped back
> to the native facilities of the storage component (in this case, SQL
> operations like 'foo%', '%foo%', and so forth).

WRT what's available, here is a dump my bookmarks regarding RDF query:

 ICS-FORTH - The RDF Query Language (RQL)

 ILRT - RDF querying using Squish

 Algae - the RDF query language used by Annotea
 Intellidimension - RDFGateway RDFQL Reference Manual
 rdfDB Query Language
 Nexus Query Language

 Query + Metadata + Logic = Metalog  [Marchiori, Saarela]

 RDF Query Specification [Malhotra, Sundaresan]

 A Query and Inference Service for RDF [Decker, ...]

 Enabling Inferencing [Guha, ...]

No doubt there are things missing so if others know of missing
items (especially implementations), please post the pointers.