Re: Bug in references to XML and Unicode

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 10:29:10 +0100
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
CC: www-rdf-comments@w3.org, Jeremy Carroll <jeremy@topquadrant.com>, Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>, Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Dear Bijan,

thank you. The entry has been entered into the official RDF errata document:

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/errata

Cheers

Ivan

--------------- You wrote --------------------------------

We believe that the hard coded references to XML 1.0 version 2 in:
	http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/
and
	http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/

and to Unicode 3.0 in
	http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/
and
	http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/

are unduly restrictive. We believe that they should normatively refer
to the generically latest versions of both standards.

Implementations that do not wish to update to the latest versions of
those standard could indicate their conformance profile by saying
"Supports RDF(RDF/XML) with Unicode 3.0 and XML 1.0 version 2". Since,
technically speaking, such implementations must reject documents
or models which, e.g., use characters only in Unicode 5.0 this
conformance message seems reasonable. It also frees implementations
to be conforming while accepting extended documents.

If we have missed other places with hard code references to particular
versions of XML and Unicode, we think they should be updated too.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia, on behalf of the OWL working group.

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153