Re: N-Triples MIME type should not be text/plain -- comment on RDF Test Cases.

From: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 14:38:12 -0800
To: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
CC: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, www-rdf-comments@w3.org

Graham Klyne wrote:
> Also, from RFC 3023 (section 1):
> [[
>    Similarly, XML will be used as a foundation for other media types,
>    including types in every branch of the IETF media types tree.  To
>    facilitate the processing of such types, media types based on XML,
>    but that are not identified using text/xml or application/xml, SHOULD
>    be named using a suffix of '+xml' as described in Section 7.  This
>    will allow XML-based tools -- browsers, editors, search engines, and
>    other processors -- to work with all XML-based media types.
> ]]
> -- http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt
>
> I don't think a similar case can be made for either RDF or N3 (for different
> reasons).

Funny, I thought that a similar line of reasoning was obvious for
RDF/N3. Let's say that I have a "recipe" format that stores recipes for
my recipe application. Or maybe I have a configuration file type for my
operating system. If they were to have content types of
application/recipe+rdf+n3 and application/config+rdf+n3, respectively,
couldn't I edit them in a general RDF editor that could read N3, even if
I didn't have MyRecipeApplication or MyOSConfigEditor handy?

Garret