Re: RDF Semantics: a partial review

From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:25:16 -0600
To: herman.ter.horst@philips.com
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org

>  >True. I think that the best way to handle this is to just remove the
>>word 'finite' from the statement of the lemmas, and add a remark in
>>the appendix pointing out that if E is finite then the intermediate
>>derived graph can also be taken to be finite. This restores the
>>statements of the lemmas to their previous form without cluttering up
>>the proofs. I will make this change.
>The word finite has not been removed from the statement of the
>rdfs entailment lemma in the appendix.

That is strange. It was removed in 2.4 but seems to have been edited
back in 2.5. Clearly my fault: will fix.

>  >>In view of this, it seems better to assume that each
>>>rdf(s)-interpretation satisfies all of rdfV (and
>>>therefore satisfies all RDF axiomatic triples).
>>Yes, of course (now you have pointed it out :-). I will make this
>>change. Peter has previously expressed a dislike for the 'crdV'
>>construction, which was introduced only to keep the closures finite
>>in any case and is therefore now irrelevant.
>It seems that this is change is not consistently applied to the
>The definition of rdfs interpretation includes "which contain only
>names form V union rdfV union rdfsV".
>This phrase should be removed, and similarly for rdf interpretations.

It seems harmless, since this is the vocabulary of the
interpretation. But it may indeed be misleading, so I have deleted it
as you request.

Thanks for the careful reading.

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell