Internal DTD Examples Invalidate the RDF/XML Documents

From: Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:19:04 -0700
To: <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>

I have been reading over the current RDF Primer Working Document,

	<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-rdf-primer-20030905/>

And I notice that the introduction of internal DTD subsets to provide entity definitions (e.g., for &xsd;) results in the XML document being [DTD] invalid.

The problem is that there are no markup declarations so not even the <rdf:RDF> root element is valid.

First, unless you also want to suppose a mythical external DTD, as in

<!DOCTYPE rdf:RDF SYSTEM "http://example.com/example.dtd"
	[ <!ENTITY xsd "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#"> ] >

the example just doesn't work.

Second, making a valid DTD for an RDF/XML document is an interesting challenge, so maybe one shouldn't even go down this road.  *I* like the idea, but I tend to be anal about creating DTDs, even if it means I must maintain the RDF/XML and a unique DTD for it side-by-side.

-- Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
AIIM DMware Technical Coordinator
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://DMware.info
   ODMA Support: http://ODMA.info
OpenPGP public key fingerprint BFE5 EFB8 CB51 8781 5274  C056 D80D 0C3F A393 27EC