RE: XML literals, canonical form, and normal form C problem

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:26:28 +0200
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>

Hi Peter,

Sorry to vascillate ...

On further reflection, while I did not support the editorial changes you
were suggesting, it occurred to me that there were possible improvements
that I would be happy to make.

A possibility is:

At the end of
section 3.4 Literals (informative)
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-rdf-concepts-20030905/#section-Literals
add the following new para

[[
The string in both plain and typed literals is required to
be in Unicode Normal Form C [NFC]. This requirement is motivated
by [Charmod] particularly section 4 Early Uniform Normalization.
The strings of literals can be considered
"http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#def-construct">
constructs</a>
in the sense used in that section.
]]

and add charmod into the informative references.

Dave has indicated support for this change on the RDF Core list, and unless
I hear objections, I will make this change.

Do you think that helps?
Is it orthogonal to your difficulties with the current text?
Is it positively bad?

thanks

Jeremy