Re: pfps-15 say anything quote

Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> From: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>
> Subject: Re: pfps-15 say anything quote
> Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:45:25 -0400
>
> [I'm not particularly worried about the caveat stuff.]

Fine.  But I'm going to go ahead with the added reification caveat I
mentioned.

>>>I wish that the Primer didn't use URI references without fragment IDs so
>>>much.  I think that it would also be a good idea to use the redirected
>>>versions of the DC elements, as they are URI references with fragment
>>>identifiers.
>>>
>>It seems to me there'a reasonable distribution of both kinds of URIrefs,
>>and since both kinds are legal, and the WG hasn't taken an offical
>>position (as far as I know) on this issue, I thought I'd better be
>>"unbiased" in the Primer (Syntax is similarly "unbiased").
>>

> This use of URI references without fragment IDs can lead to a
> confusion between documents and resources.  It is not a big issue for me,
> but it may be for others.  (Who, apparently, have not complained.)

I understand (but I don't know that I think making a distinction in the
form of the URI is necessarily the way to handle this;  after all, who
says you won't want to refer to a fragment of or place in a document?).
  I just think that, as things stand, the Primer needs to be agnostic
about how to handle the document vs. resources issue.  That debate will
go on anyway.

>>I'm not sure what you mean about "the redirected versions of the DC
>>elements".  As far as I know, the official URI assigned to the DC terms
>>continues to not use fragment IDs, e.g.,
>>http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/title.  Can you clarify?
>>

> When I type http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/title in to my browser, the
> URI that comes back is http://dublincore.org/2003/03/24/dces#title, which I
> think is much in keeping with the RDF philosophy on such URIs.

Well, yeah.  But http://dublincore.org/documents/2003/03/04/dcmi-terms/
says:

"Anchors have been embedded in this document so that users may cite a
particular entry with the form
"http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#term-name" (e.g.,
"http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#title"). While this form of
citation is supported for documentary convenience, note that the URI
assigned to each term in accordance with the DCMI Namespace Policy
serves as its unique identifier (e.g.,
"http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/title") "

I just think the Primer needs to cite the "official" URI for the DC terms in this case.

--Frank