Re: pfps-05 RDFS closure rules [not complete yet]

From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 16:38:57 -0500
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org

>>I believe that the rules for rdfs entailments are still incomplete in the
>>current version of RDF Semantics (Editors [sic] Draft July 27).
>>
>>For example, consider the RDF graph
>>
>>	ex:foo ex:bar "<"^^rdf:XMLLiteral .
>>	ex:bar rdfs:range rdf:XMLLiteral .
>>
>>I believe that this graph has no rdfs-intepretations
>
>Yes, you are right. I had overlooked this case; and the proof
>implicitly assumes that XML literals are wellformed.
>
>I will modify the statement of the RDFS entailment lemma so as to
>exclude such cases, by requiring the antecedent to be consistent. I
>will also add explanatory text to section 5, which has a paragraph
>which curently ends:
>"An ill-typed literal does not in itself constitute an
>inconsistency, but a graph which entails that an ill-typed literal
>has rdf:type rdfs:Literal would be inconsistent."
>
>to be modified to:
>
>"An ill-typed literal does not in itself constitute an
>inconsistency, but a graph which entails that an ill-typed literal
>has rdf:type rdfs:Literal, or that an ill-typed XML literal has
>rdf:type rdf:XMLLiteral, would be inconsistent."

I have also made a few other additions to the text in various places
to draw attention to this, eg a brief mention and warning about
trivial entailments in section 4.3. They can be traced from the
change log in

http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/RDF_Semant_Edit_Central.html

Pat
IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell