Re: What is RDF Schema? [proposed closed]

From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 14:35:17 -0500
To: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>, Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Cc: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, www-rdf-comments@w3.org

>I believe there may be a problem with the word "core".  It seems to
>me we have an "rdf" vocabulary and an "rdfs" vocabulary, but not an
>"rdf core" vocabulary (think "RDF core vocabulary" has now been
>expunged from Concepts).

Ah, this may be my fault. I needed a word to refer to the
subvocabulary of the RDF namespace to which the rdf semantic
conditions apply, and I invented the name 'core RDF vocabulary'.
Maybe that was a bad choice of terminology.

Would it be better is I used a different term, say "central RDF vocabulary" ?

There is now a version of the document at

which has this name change made (2 places plus change log). In all
other respects it is identical to

PS. the reason for 'central' is that it allows me to keep the
abbreviation 'crdfV'

>Dan Brickley wrote:
>>* Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
>>[2003-08-01 09:42-0400]
>>>Looks good.
>>>I notice however, that the first sentence of Appendix A is incorrect.  The
>>>description is really an RDFS description.  I do not believe that there is
>>>an ``RDF Core vocabulary'' and if there were, this would not be it.
>>currently we have:
>>"An RDF description of the RDF Core vocabulary is given here in RDF/XML
>>serialization syntax."
>>I'd accept that "An RDFS description of ..." would be more appropriate.
>>Then the question of what we're describing. Currently we _do_ describe
>>both the RDF namespaces owned/managed by RDF Core, ie.
>>http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema# but also the older
>>http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns# so our RDF/XML appendix
>>includes claims such as:
>>   <rdfs:isDefinedBy
>>  rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"/>
>><rdfs:comment>The class of RDF properties.</rdfs:comment>
>>I believe it is useful to present an integrated RDFS description of
>>both sets of classes and properties, since people can never
>>remember which lives where, and the rest of the RDFS spec also
>>describes both.
>>So question is how to describe this in Appendix A. How about this:
>>"An RDF description of the RDF Core vocabulary is given here in RDF/XML
>>serialization syntax."
>>"An RDFS description of the http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#
>>and http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema# vocabularies is given
>>here in RDF/XML syntax."
>>Kinda ugly, but perhaps less contentious?
>Frank Manola                   The MITRE Corporation
>202 Burlington Road, MS A345   Bedford, MA 01730-1420
>mailto:fmanola@mitre.org       voice: 781-271-8147   FAX: 781-271-875

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell