Re: What is RDF Schema? [proposed closed]

>I believe there may be a problem with the word "core".  It seems to
>me we have an "rdf" vocabulary and an "rdfs" vocabulary, but not an
>"rdf core" vocabulary (think "RDF core vocabulary" has now been
>expunged from Concepts).

Ah, this may be my fault. I needed a word to refer to the
subvocabulary of the RDF namespace to which the rdf semantic
conditions apply, and I invented the name 'core RDF vocabulary'.
Maybe that was a bad choice of terminology.

Would it be better is I used a different term, say "central RDF vocabulary" ?

There is now a version of the document at

http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/RDF_Semant_Edit_Central.html

which has this name change made (2 places plus change log). In all
other respects it is identical to

http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/RDF_Semant_Edit_Weak.html

Pat

PS. the reason for 'central' is that it allows me to keep the
abbreviation 'crdfV'

>--Frank
>
>Dan Brickley wrote:
>
>>* Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
>>[2003-08-01 09:42-0400]
>>
>>>Looks good.
>>>
>>>I notice however, that the first sentence of Appendix A is incorrect.  The
>>>description is really an RDFS description.  I do not believe that there is
>>>an ``RDF Core vocabulary'' and if there were, this would not be it.
>>>

>>currently we have:
>>"An RDF description of the RDF Core vocabulary is given here in RDF/XML
>>serialization syntax."
>>
>>I'd accept that "An RDFS description of ..." would be more appropriate.
>>
>>Then the question of what we're describing. Currently we _do_ describe
>>both the RDF namespaces owned/managed by RDF Core, ie.
>>http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema# but also the older
>>http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns# so our RDF/XML appendix
>>includes claims such as:
>>
>>[[
>><rdfs:Class
>>rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property">
>>   <rdfs:isDefinedBy
>>  rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"/>
>><rdfs:label>Property</rdfs:label>
>><rdfs:comment>The class of RDF properties.</rdfs:comment>
>><rdfs:subClassOf
>>rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Resource"/>
>></rdfs:Class>
>>]]
>>
>>I believe it is useful to present an integrated RDFS description of
>>both sets of classes and properties, since people can never
>>remember which lives where, and the rest of the RDFS spec also
>>describes both.
>>
>>So question is how to describe this in Appendix A. How about this:
>>
>>"An RDF description of the RDF Core vocabulary is given here in RDF/XML
>>serialization syntax."
>>->
>>"An RDFS description of the http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#
>>and http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema# vocabularies is given
>>here in RDF/XML syntax."
>>
>>Kinda ugly, but perhaps less contentious?
>>
>>Dan
>>

>--
>Frank Manola                   The MITRE Corporation
>202 Burlington Road, MS A345   Bedford, MA 01730-1420
>mailto:fmanola@mitre.org       voice: 781-271-8147   FAX: 781-271-875

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell