Re: What is RDF Schema? [proposed closed]

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Subject: Re: What is RDF Schema? [proposed closed]
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:53:16 -0400

> * Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com> [2003-08-01 09:42-0400]
> > Looks good.
> >
> > I notice however, that the first sentence of Appendix A is incorrect.  The
> > description is really an RDFS description.  I do not believe that there is
> > an ``RDF Core vocabulary'' and if there were, this would not be it.
>
> currently we have:
> "An RDF description of the RDF Core vocabulary is given here in RDF/XML
> serialization syntax."
>
> I'd accept that "An RDFS description of ..." would be more appropriate.
>
> Then the question of what we're describing. Currently we _do_ describe
> both the RDF namespaces owned/managed by RDF Core,

Sure, but where is ``RDF Core vocabulary'' defined as this vocabulary?  I
certainly don't see it in RDF Schema.  If it is defined elsewhere, then you
should point to that definition.  The definition that sprang to my mind was
of the ``core RDF vocabulary'', from RDF Semantics, which is very different.

> ie.
> http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema# but also the older
> http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns# so our RDF/XML appendix
> includes claims such as:
>
> [[
> <rdfs:Class
> rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property">
>   <rdfs:isDefinedBy
>  rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"/>
> <rdfs:label>Property</rdfs:label>
> <rdfs:comment>The class of RDF properties.</rdfs:comment>
> <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Resource"/>
> </rdfs:Class>
> ]]
>
> I believe it is useful to present an integrated RDFS description of both
> sets of classes and properties, since people can never remember which
> lives where, and the rest of the RDFS spec also describes both.
>
> So question is how to describe this in Appendix A. How about this:
>
> "An RDF description of the RDF Core vocabulary is given here in RDF/XML
> serialization syntax."
> ->
> "An RDFS description of the http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#
> and http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema# vocabularies is given here in
> RDF/XML syntax."
>
> Kinda ugly, but perhaps less contentious?
>
> Dan

Why not

	An RDFS description of the RDF vocabulary [point to appropriate
	place in RDF Semantics] and RDFS vocabulary [point to appropriate
	place in RDF Semantics] is given here in RDF/XML syntax.

peter