Re: pfps-04 (why the thread is germane to pfps-04)

From: Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:13:11 -0400 (EDT)
To: duerst@w3.org
Cc: bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com, jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com, phayes@ai.uwf.edu, www-rdf-comments@w3.org

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Subject: Re: pfps-04 (why the thread is germane to pfps-04)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:36:05 -0400

> Hello Peter,
>
> At 09:27 03/07/25 -0400, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> >I believe that a complete theory of equality for XML literals resolves this
> >comment.  I suggest that several test cases be added to the RDF test suite.
> >
> >The related issue of whether the value spaces of xsd:string and plain
> >literals are disjoint also appears to be well on the way to resolution.
>
> Apart from the issue of language information (plain literals can take
> language information, xsd:string can't), what is the reason for making
> these two disjoint?

Personally, I don't see any reason to make them disjoint. Plain literals
without a language tag look just like xsd:strings to me.

However, the comments from the XML Schema people that xsd:decimal and
xsd:float are disjoint in some sense, leads towards making plain literals
and xsd:strings disjoint.

[...]

> Regards,    Martin.

peter