Re: RDF XMLLiterals reagle-01,-02

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 03:50, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> While contemplating various last call issues RDF Core WG has simplified
> the design of typed literals, particularly XMLLiteral, by removing the
> language tag.
> This permits addressing:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0434
> "Confusion about wrapping of XMLLiteral" by simply removing the wrapper
> altogether.

I have no objection in principle as my concerns related to (1) a
deterministic octet representation for the purposes of identity , (2)
consistency of canonicalization between the specs, and (3) confusion
arising from the wrapping in an example and the normative text in two
specs. "With comments" appears to satisfy my identity (first) concern, the
other two I trust will be satisfactorily resolved as confirmed when I next
review the next version of the RDF specs.

> Please note that the I18N-WG have made a comment criticizing this
> decision:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Jun/0023.html
> which the RDF Core has not officially yet agreed a response (although we
> have spent more than an hour of telecon time on it, with still a majority
> opposing further changes).

I'll note that I'm interested in this discussion but don't feel strongly as
to whether the language feature is retained, though I am concerned about
the distinctions in the representation of "plain" literals, XML literals,
and Schema data types. But I also trust that the RDF WG and I18N WG will be
able to satisfactorily address that concern.

Consequently, you may consider me satisfied with respect to my original
comments but please keep me informed with respect to any consequent results
to the above threads.