Re: FORTH COMMENTS ON RDF Schema: Last Call

From: Vassilis Christophides <christop@ics.forth.gr>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:11:08 +0200 (EET)
To: danbri@w3.org
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org

Dan

I have argue several times about the RDF Schema issues presented in
summary in my mail.

No I am not satisfied by Pat Hayes answer. My problem is that I don't
have enough time to debate with excaustive details. The axis of critic
are:

1) Some of the RDF/S features are not justified by real application
   needs (at least the 2-3 applications I am dealing with)
2) They imply serious implementation limitations

For example, class cycles is a very confusing notion in P2P e-learning
applications, developers can't skip off this costly reasoning since it
is embedded in the default RDF/S Semantics and there no efficient
algorithms to implement transitive closure computations.

More than an official response, I need a fruitful scientific
discussion on these issues. We at least trying to explain our
objections in all our papers
(http://139.91.183.30:9090/RDF/publications/FuncBook.pdf
http://139.91.183.30:9090/RDF/publications/comp-networks2003.pdf)

Best