Re: [closed] pfps-15 Say anything quote

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Subject: Re: [closed] pfps-15 Say anything quote
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:20:06 +0000

> At 13:39 17/03/2003 -0500, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>
> >I believe that this response does not address all of my comments in the
> >referenced email message.  Note in particular that several of the quotes I
> >used in my messages do not come from Primer.
>
> Peter,
>
> I'd like to point out that the WG's response, conveyed to you by Frank, was
> to the issue the WG recorded, as noted in:
>
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0292.html
>
> [[
> We need to be clear about what the issue is that we are identifying.
>
> The issue
>
>     http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20030123-issues/#pfps-15
>
> concerns the sentence in the primer:
>
> [[
> These examples also illustrate one of the basic architectural principles of
> the Web, which is that anyone should be able say anything they want about
> existing resources [BERNERS-LEE98].
> ]]
>
> which Peter states is contradicted by the fact that not all graphs can be
> serialized in RDF/XML.
>
>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0194.html
>
> Frank has suggested editorial rewording that is not acceptable to Peter.
>
> This is not an issue of general applicability'.
> ]]
>
> Does the WG's decision resolve THIS ISSUE to your satisfaction?
>
> Brian

I have never indicated that my comment ``Can RDF say anything about
anything?'' was solely concerned with the RDF Primer.  My first message in
this thread, archived at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0148.html,
has one quote from the Primer and two from Concepts.  The first response,
from you, archived at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0165.html,
states, in part, ``As this comment affects several documents, I'll
respond.''  My response, archived at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0175.html,
further brings in the RDF Syntax document.

The message that I received, accepting the comment as an issue, indicates
that the remedy that the RDF Core WG has decided on would consist of
letting the RDF Primer editor suggest a change to the RDF Primer.  I
believe that this response does not address the entirety of my comment.  I
am unaware of any other efforts that the RDF Core WG will be undertaking to
address the rest of my comment.  Therefore I have indicated that I believe
that the response does not address my comment to my satisfaction, and,
moreover, have provided one reason why.

I am unaware of any part of the W3C process that requires me to measure the
acceptability of the response by a characterisation of my comments
determined by the RDF Core WG.  The RDF Core WG is, of course, free to make
their own determination of what I meant in my comments, and respond using
this determination, but I think that I am free to differ.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Bell Labs Research
Lucent Technologies