Re: Issue #pan-01 Re: Comment on Last Call Working Draft of RDF Semantics document concerning treating classes and properties as objects

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
To: "Jeff Z Pan" <pan@cs.man.ac.uk>; <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 11:35 AM
Subject: Issue #pan-01 Re: Comment on Last Call Working Draft of RDF Semantics
document concerning treating classes and properties as objects

> Jeff,
>
> With Pat responding that your comments are not editorial, I'm going to try
> to identify the comments you are making for consideration by the WG.
>
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0283.html
>
> At 21:15 14/02/2003 -0800, Jeff Z Pan wrote:
>

> >Recent research (http://dl-web.man.ac.uk/rdfsfa/paper.htm) has shown that
> >RDF Schema (RDFS) has a non-standard metamodeling architecture, which makes
> >some elements in the model have dual roles in the RDFS specification.  As a
> >result, this can be confusing and difficult to understand and,  more
> >importantly, the specification of its semantics requires a non-standard
> >model theory - RDF MT. RDF MT justifies dual roles by "treating classes and
> >properties as objects", which seems to be ok within RDFS. However, this
> >leads to semantic problems when we extend RDFS with more expressive FOL
> >constructs, and extend RDF MT to the so called ``RDF+ MT'' to give meaning
> >to this extended language:

Brian,

> Ok - I think you are saying you are trying to extend RDF(S) to some
> (proper?) subset of FOL and are having problems.  Yes?  The rest of this
> message is an explanation of the difficulties you are experiencing.

It also suggests that it might be a good idea to also locate a sub-language of
RDFS
(e.g. RDFS(FA)) such that when FOL languages are built on it, they can have
their traditional semantics, and the existing highly optimised implementations of
FOL (or its decidable subsets) can be employed.

Regards,
Jeff
--
Jeff Z. Pan  ( http://DL-Web.man.ac.uk/ )
Computer Science Dept., The University of Manchester