Re: Can RDF say anything about anything?

I know this thread has died down, but I'd like to get some clarification
on exactly what needs fixing in the Primer.  The Primer doesn't say (I
don't know how to interpret "indicate") "that RDF can be used to let
anyone 'say anything they want about existing resources' ".  What the
Primer says, following some examples, is "These examples also illustrate
one of the basic architectural principles of the Web, which is that
anyone should be able say anything they want about existing resources
[BERNERS-LEE98]."  That seems like a reasonable statement under the
circumstances (part of the circumstances being that the Primer is
clearly not describing a rule that is to be applied by an RDF/XML
parser).  Are there problems with the actual statement in the Primer?

--Frank

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:

> From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
> Subject: Re: Can RDF say anything about anything?
> Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 06:51:29 +0000
>
> > At 09:48 30/01/2003 -0500, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> >
> > >Can RDF say anything about anything?
> > >
> > >The RDF documents are contradictory on this point.  The Primer indicates
> > >that RDF can be used to let anyone ``say anything they want about existing
> > >resources'' with no exception for the resources used by RDF.  [Section
> > > 3.2] Concepts says
> > >that ``RDF is an open-world framework that allows anyone to make simple
> > >assertions about anything''.  [Section 2.2.6, and elsewhere]
> > > However, Concepts also says that ``Certain
> > >URIs are reserved for use by RDF, and may not be used for any purpose not
> > >sanctioned the RDF specifications.'' [Section 3.7]
> > >
> > >What is the situation here?
> >
> > Peter,
> >
> > As this comment affects several documents, I'll respond.
> >
> > As a general point, it is helpful if you can provide links to the sections
> > of documents where you have a problem with the text, or at the least
> > section numbers.
>
> Isn't that what the Search/Find capabilities of browsers are for?  I would
> expect that an interested reader would want to know where else Concepts
> talks about being able to say anything about anything.  I've added section
> numbers to my comment above.

snip