Re: Can RDF say anything about anything?

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 06:51:29 +0000
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>, www-rdf-comments@w3.org

At 09:48 30/01/2003 -0500, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

>Can RDF say anything about anything?
>
>The RDF documents are contradictory on this point.  The Primer indicates
>that RDF can be used to let anyone ``say anything they want about existing
>resources'' with no exception for the resources used by RDF.  Concepts says
>that ``RDF is an open-world framework that allows anyone to make simple
>assertions about anything''.  However, Concepts also says that ``Certain
>URIs are reserved for use by RDF, and may not be used for any purpose not
>sanctioned the RDF specifications.''
>
>What is the situation here?

Peter,

As this comment affects several documents, I'll respond.

As a general point, it is helpful if you can provide links to the sections
of documents where you have a problem with the text, or at the least
section numbers.

Specifically about this point, I don't yet see the contradiction to which
you refer.  Can you offer a test case to illustrate this contradiction.