Re: dealing with strings in RDF

At 14:50 18/06/03 -0400, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

>Hi:
>
>Does
>
>         <http://foo.ex/a#b> <http://foo.ex/a#b> "aa" .
>
>rdf-entail
>
>         <http://foo.ex/a#b> <http://foo.ex/a#b>
> "aa"^^http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string .
>
>I believe that it is up to the RDF Core working group to provide an answer
>to this question.

Not speaking for RDFcore, but as I think this is an important point to
clarify in some way, my view is this:

No, this is not an rdf-entailment.

But there's a related question:  is it an rdfd {xsd:string}-entailment?

In this case I think the answer is yes.  And vice versa.  But if a language
tag is on the plain literal, then the entailment is off.

My rationale for this is that both xsd:string values and plain literals
(without lang tags) are defined to denote UNIcode character sequences
derived straightforwardly from the literal content.  I think the above
conclusions follow from the abstract syntax and semantics as given (but I
don't have proof of this).

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>