xml:base irrelevant to same document reference

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 08:50:49 +0700
To: www-rdf-comments@w3.org

Section 2.14 of the syntax spec says that xml:base is used in resolving
a URI reference such as "#snack".  I believe this in violation of RFC
2396. A URI reference such as "#snack" is not in fact a relative URI
reference (see the BNF in section 11 of RFC 2396); rather it is a "same
document reference". See RFC 2396 section 4.2. This says that a URI
reference containing only a fragment identifier is a reference to the
identified fragment of the *current* document (i.e. the document in
which the fragment identifier occurs). I believe that for consistency
with RFC 2396 xml:base should not apply to same document references, and
also should not apply to rdf:ID.  It seems totally bizarre to me that
xml:base should apply to rdf:ID when rdf:ID is not a relative URI.  It
also seems bizarre that rdf:ID should define a fragment identifier in a
resource other than the one in which it occurs: surely a resource only
gets to define its own fragment identifiers.

James