Re: problem introduced by recent change to RDF MT

From: pat hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:50:52 -0500
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org

>The recent changes in the RDF MT (10a June 2003) have resulted in the
>following problem:
>
>An rdf interpretation I is now of an arbitrary vocabulary V.  This means that
>the domain of IS is V.  However, V does not necessarily include the members
>of the RDF vocabulary.

True; this was deliberate.

>  This results in the potential breakdown of the RDF
>semantic conditions.  For example, there might not be a domain element
>corresponding to rdf:type.

There might not, indeed, in a simple interpretation of an RDF graph
which did not use the URIref rdf:type; that was true previously, of
course. However, the RDF semantic conditions require that
IEXT(I(rdf:type)) contain at least infinitely many pairs of the form
<x, I(rdf:XMLLiteral)>, so require that I(rdf:type) be in IP; and the
first semantic condition requires that IP be a subset of IR, in every
rdf-interpretation. So the conditions do not break down for rdf- (or
rdfs-) interpretations.

Pat

PS. It may not be appropriate to be discussing details of an
editorial draft on rdf-comments while it is in a state of flux.

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell