Re: strange treatment of namespaces in RDF/XML

From: Bill Kearney <wkearney99@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 20:49:09 -0400
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>

> > > ... xmlns:xm = "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namesp"
> > > ... rdf:about="ace#hi" ...
> > > is legal, as is
> > > ... xmlns:xmx = "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
> > > ... rdf:about="#hi" ...
> > > but
> > > ... xmlns:xmxx = "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace#h"
> > > ... rdf:about="i" ...
>
> Argh, argh, argh.  Mea culpa.
>
> When trying to put together an example, I went from QNames to rdf:about, to
> get around the problem with # in the local name, forgetting that rdf:about
> doesn't use QNames.  Stupid me.
>
> The example should be
>
> So
> ... xmlns:xm = "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namesp"
> .. <xm:acehi ... /> ...
> is legal, as is
> ... xmlns:xmx = "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
> .. <xmx:hi ... /> ...
> but
> ... xmlns:xmxx = "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespaceh"
> .. <xmxx:i ... /> ...
> is not.

I'm still not clear on what you're on about.

While they might be legal, they're not equivalent.  Are you saying the first two
examples are expected to be equivalent somehow?  As in, the <hi> element from
the "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace" namespace?  Your two examples aren't
equivalent.  The first one is the <acehi> element from the
http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namesp namespace.  The second one is the <hi> element
from the http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace namespace.  The third one is the
<i> element from the http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespaceh namespace.  Near as I
can tell, they're all /legal/, at least in the RDF serialized in XML sense, but
they're not equivalent.

As for the original examples, using rdf:about="#sometext" presumes, in RDF/XML,
that you're linking to another element elsewhere in the same document marked up
with rdf:ID="sometext".

But I get the feeling you already know this so I'm confused as to the point
being made.

-Bill Kearney