Re: [closed] Re: buglet in syntax / test cases

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 08:04:33 -0400 (EDT)
"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com> wrote:

> From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
> >
> > Both "xmlnewthing" and "xml:newthing" should be removed.
> >
> > It is trying to say, having got the XML infoset element infoitem,
> > first grab any xml:lang attribute value for the language accessor.
> >
> > XML Base and XML Namespaces processing is already provided by the XML
> > Infoset, so there is nothing further to do with those attributes
> > (xml:base, xmlns*).
>
> I do not believe that this is correct.  XML namespace processing does
> remove attributes that define XML namespaces.

No, I didn't say that.  I noted that the xmlns* attributes were
already handled by the XML Namespaces specification processingin
case you then replied that I had forgotten them.

>  However, I do not believe
> that XML Base permits the removal of xml:base attributes.

No, XML Base describes how the attribute values deliver base URIs, it
does not require or forbid removal.

> > Finally remove all the attributes that start with the three
> > characters 'x' 'm' and 'l'.
> >
> > I agree that the wording there could be improved so I will reword
> > this section to try to explain the existing method more clearly,
> > probably based on this message.

> It looks to me as if all names starting xml (in any combination of
> uppercase and lowercase letters) are reserved in XML, both as attribute
> names and as element names.  I believe that there is a disconnect between
> XML and RDF/XML in the treatment of reserved names, and that a careful
> review of this serious issue be made.

I will add case-independent to the editorial clarification of 6.1.2
for attribute names.

As for element names starting with these letters, I will ask the RDF
Core working group if it wants to do something about them such
as ignoring them, after the existing decision to ignore the
unrecognised attributes recorded in item 12
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Jan/0152.html

I doubt very much if you will find many other specifications based on
XML that bother to re-iterate this XML detail again.  They assume you
follow the normative references to the XML specifications and know
that they reserve some names.  I'm pretty sure they don't tell you
what to do with known or unknown xml* names in their documents.

Dave